What can I control?

Just a normal Saturday with some AP Lit kids watching some Gatsby at Crane's house


One of my greatest talents is my ability to criticize and rant. I’m really, really good at it. People who know me will tell you, I can spit fire. I can offer scathing critques that wither souls and melt faces, but most of the time, this isn’t wonderfully productive. In fact, it usually changes very little. 

So rather than compose another diatribe about the inherent injustice of being a classroom teacher, this post is about being resourceful, about finding a way. Changing the inertia that plagues our education system is a Hurculian task, beyond my scope and abilty. However, changing my classroom, changing those 50 minute periods,  as flawed as they might be, is well within my scope. I am the master of that universe, so what will I, what will we, do with that power?

I’m choosing to try. I recently invited my AP students to come over to my house to watch the Great Gatsby movie. It was not something I’d ever attempted before, and a choice I probably should have consulted my wife about, who is also a teacher in my building, before offering the invitation. But I wanted to shake things up. I’m trying to build a culture in my class that transcends the traditional dynamic. I want my class to be more, to be a shared experience that kids look forward to, so I took a chance, and on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, eight students sat in my living room eating brownies and popcorn and Leo attempted to do Gatsby. 

I’m also choosing to throw out my curriculum and try to revive the best project I’ve ever been part of as a teacher. Once upon a time, in a school not so far away, there was a great small schools experiment that for the most part, failed. However, there were glimmers of awesomeness, and one of those glimmers was Adventure School. I could go on for hours about what was great about it, but I won’t. Let’s just say it was pretty cool. It was the most genuine, effective teaching experience of my career. I felt we stumbled on greatness, but nothing gold can stay. 

Anyway, the project I’m resurrecting is the quarter project. My sophomore and junior students are going to choose a topic, any school appropriate topic, to learn about. It can be a hobby, a career, a phenomenon, a goal, a whatever. What would you like to learn about? Then they are going to craft a proposal detailing how they plan to go about learning. They need to develop a central question, a complex question they genuinely want to answer. They need to find and obtain a book on their topic. They need to find someone to interview about it, and finally, they need to come up with a plan to do some hands on learning associated with their topic. In the end, they will write a research paper answering their central question and give a five-ish minute presentation on what they did and what they learned. Then, next quarter they will do it again. 

This project, hopefully, will teach research skills, close reading skills, note taking skills, writing skills, presentation skills, and hopefully, life skills. I have plans for all kinds of mini-lessons (I'm committing myself to no more than 10 minutes of instruction at a time). I am braced for failures, setbacks, and possibly tears. I honestly don’t know how it is going to go. But I am striving to build a different classroom, a student centered classroom (as advocated for in in articles like After 100 Years of the Same Teaching Model It’s Time to Throw Out the Playbook ) where learning is more real and dynamic than it ever has been, at least in my room.  

We will see how it all goes, but my point is this. We have clear and substantial obstacles blocking change in education, more than we can count and more than we can move, so where does that leave us? Are we going to simply keep doing things the same way because of these obstacles, or are we going to try anyway? Stop making excuses and start trying things.  

Comments

  1. I am excited to see some of the best ideas from Adventure School come back for students to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of the availability of resources that your students have today vs the Adventure School days? Every one of them has a laptop with access to the worlds knowledge. That's what will make this different this time around.

    A great place for students to find and connect with someone outside of the school in a professional manner is LinkedIn. We've talked about how powerful LinkedIn is within our society to connect professionals together. It's a great place to find people to interview on a large verity of subjects.

    What makes or breaks this type of learning is the structures that teachers put in place. Remember "Student Ownership" does not mean less structure. It actually means more structure, more timelines, more constraints. The teachers roll in this type of learning is to create a "Highly Structured, Loosely Organized Learning Environment". The teacher creates the structure to allow students or organize their research, thinking and learning. I love this idea as it honors students as learners and allows them to be self-motivated around their own learning goals. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler, this sounds awesome! A great example of authentic & personalized learning. I have been contemplating how to do this in my classroom as well, so I am excited to see how this plays out for you & your students. Additionally, this is similar to the "Impress Me" project we are currently giving a try. While it makes me a bit apprehensive, it is also thrilling to think about teaching & learning in a whole new way. Look forward to hearing about the celebrations & celebrating the stumbles.

    Steve Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO excited about this! I would love an opportunity to chat with you about what's working and not,and incorporate your experience into a similar project for my students in Anatomy, and how we might strategize ways to link your project with mine and maybe even the Impress Me Project. If for no other reason than to immerse students in this new line of thinking!
    Best,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the comments above, I think this is awesome for several different reasons. Bob's most recent post is a collection of memories that he has from his experience as a student, and this will be one of those things that those students remember for sure. Ultimately, that might be the most valuable take-away from for those students. I'm curious as to what the next week was like with those students in your class in terms of behavior, attitude, and desire to learn.

    I guess my question is (an not so much a critique) but really a question. Why those eight students? Why did they show up and not eight different students? Was it because they had the time? Because they wanted to? Because of their relationship with you? Because they thought it would be fun? If it was possible to figure out the "why" for those eight, could it then be cultivated in a few more students? And a few more, and a few more, and then how would it change for those students in terms of classroom behavior, attitude and desire to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the enthusiasm that shouts from your page when you reflect on and write about your experience in Adventure School. I'm looking forward to learning about how this goes in your classes and if you have similar experiences to those you had in EAS. I hope so! When you introduced this to your students, how did they react? I'm hoping they were really enthusiastic and showed appreciation for the freedom you are allowing them in their educational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the pieces of this post that I appreciate the most is the emphasis this type of project puts on helping students understand that learning isn't just a school thing, and just as importantly, you are invested in the learning that they want to do. So often I worry that students think the only learning that matters is the kind where they are told what to learn. The fact that you are pursuing helping students overcome this perception is worth celebrating. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confession

The Project - Reflection 1